Ajmer Lok Sabha 2024 Analysis


Ajmer Lok Sabha Constituency is one of the 25 parliamentary constituencies in Rajasthan. Since 1989, the Ajmer seat has largely been under the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) sway. The party’s stalwart, Shri Rasa Singh Rawat, held this seat for five consecutive terms. In the 2009 general elections, the Congress pulled off a remarkable upset. Shri Sachin Pilot, a young and dynamic leader, defeated the BJP’s Shri Kirron Maheshwari to secure victory. 

Shri Bhagirath Choudhary (OBC-Jat)  of the Bharatiya Janata Party is the current representative from this seat. Ajmer is a geographically, socially, and demographically diverse constituency. These various communities also decide the political outcome in the area. No third prominent political party exists other than the BJP and the INC in Ajmer. Smt. Vasundhara Raje (OBC-Kunbi) and Shri Ashok Gehlot (OBC-Mali) have also been very prominent faces of these parties and have a huge vote base because of their work. Hence the election is always a nail-biting race to witness with the votes swinging towards one party or the other. 

Voting Patterns

Ajmer has always witnessed a bipolar Lok Sabha contest, with the BJP and the INC securing almost 95-98% of the total votes. Caste dynamics also play a crucial role in this. As per the 2011 census, 66% of the voters belong to rural areas, and the remaining 34% are urban voters which are reflected in their voting patterns. The demographic includes 19.5% SCs, 13.2% Jats, 12.5% Gujjars, 12.7% Muslims, 9.38% Rawats, 9% Vaishyas and 3% STs. From them; Jats, Gujjars, and Rawats voters have been the voter base for the BJP.

On the other hand, the Muslims and the Dalits predominantly vote for the INC. The voters in Ajmer show a similar pattern in voting for the MP as well as the MLAs. The BJP has held 6 out of 8 assembly seats in the 2018 elections and won 7 out of 8 in the recent assembly elections in 2023. This shows the constituency-wide support for BJP’s policies and decisions. Some of the most prominent issues in Ajmer that the people vote on are infrastructure development, employment generation, irrigation, and religious harmony. Agricultural reforms, water scarcity, farmer welfare, and youth employment are the concerns in the community that the voters want these candidates to solve.

Past Election Analysis

Ajmer constituency was held by Shri Sachin Pilot of INC from 2009 to 2014. In the next two Lok Sabha elections, the BJP candidates emerged victorious. 

Click Here To Read The Analysis In Detail 

Author: Revati Gandekar